Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Rat Race……..

The commonest race that is organized by life on no special occasion like the ‘Sports Day ‘at school or the ‘Republic day ‘or the ‘Independence Day’, but the special occasion called ‘The Life’.


The most interesting aspect of the rat race is having human participants.

From the time you enter the premises of the school you ought to excel in studies and you learn the preliminary steps of how the participation criterion begins. After gasping for those scores at the board examination, life begins to begin at the long student trails trying to enroll for the best colleges of the country with anxious parents hoping for a brighter tomorrow for their children. Level 3 begins when after the glorious and the most happening years of the youth begin to take shape, HR people of top notch and ‘not so top notch’ companies, arise at the gates of the college to make you consciously feel that ‘my dear friends you are about to be professionals now’ and subconsciously you welcome the ‘Joyride’ that invites you ahead.

I still remember the excitement on the thought of my first day in office like the dream of every youth churning out to be a professional. But in due course I realized that it’s much more than just a churning out process. Apart from the happiness experienced from the first pay cheque , job designation authority and financial independence, it calls for waking up everyday putting the alarm into snooze every time it rings, thinking when is the Saturday arriving and looking up to calendars only for holidays. What a Life!!!

Knowingly or most cases unknowingly we participate in this rodent race which in no case is as tiny winy as the name sounds with the entire universal acceptance. But the one question that I am always infested with is “what is the final destination?” Where are we all heading towards? What are we heading towards? Is it a better salary, a better position, a higher status or an extraordinary and unmatched identity status?

Young adults think and show off themselves as the most eligible bachelors or spinsters but then what is the’ most eligible’.

I often think as I see many people from varied walks of life that what is their driving force as I still search for mine. The eligibility with a big E is a big question mark too, I guess. The demarcation between what’s right and what’s wrong is so thin that we so conveniently just miss it.

But I’m sure that I will make my way through this mind boggling maze and make it a bit different from this rat race. I’m glad that at least I know this part of my driving force and will take a successful attempt in giving myself a much better direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment